Thursday, April 29, 2010

Cookie Multi-Tasking


I made a lot of promises to a lot of people so I had a mega baking marathon the other night. By using the basic Tollhouse Cookie base recipe I was able to make 5 different types of cookies by separating the dough and including different add-ins. This gave me 5 distinctly different cookies with a minimal amount of extra work. I needed a huge pile of cookies so I doubled this recipe.

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup (2 sticks, 1/2 pound) butter, softened

3/4 cup granulated [white] sugar

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 eggs

Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla in large mixer bowl. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; gradually beat in flour mixture. Separate into 5 small bowls. Stir in add-ins and combine well (see variations below with pictures). Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheet (I use a springloaded scoop).

Bake in preheated 375-degree oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

Variations:

Chocolate Chip/Walnut/Cashew


Add a generous handful each.


Oatmeal Raisin

Stir in a heaping teaspoon full of cinnamon, mixing well. Stir in 3/4 cup oatmeal and 1/4 cup raisins.


Orange Marmalade

Add 1/4 cup powdered coconut and 1/2 cup orange marmalade. These will come out much softer than the rest of the cookies.


Dark Chocolate

Sorry for the blurry picture. Stir in 1/4 cup powdered cocoa. Press and flatten with fork.


Candy Cups


Scoop into mini mini muffin cups. Press a Hershey's Kiss or Mini Reeses Cup into each. I used too much dough and they came out looking like muffins. Next time I will barely fill the cups halfway and simply make more.

Between care packages, overnight guests, and customers, I'm down to about 6 cookies total. These all went fast.

Do you have a variation to share with me in the comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment