Sunday, May 2, 2010

Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms


Lucky for all you crazy non-meat eaters out there, I decided to use the bulk sausage I was going to stuff these with in Egg, Sausage, and Cheese Kolaches I am making later.

These are so easy it is almost criminal. The portabellas I used for these are HUGE. I bought them at Sam's Club so that should tell you how huge they are. This makes 2 gigantic portabellas but you could use this same recipe for a few packages of stemmed button mushroom. If you go this route, finely chop the mushroom stems and blend into the ricotta mixture. Adjust cooking time down to accommodate the smaller shrooms. You may have mixture leftover. Freeze in a container for future use.

2 insanely large portabella mushrooms
1 lb. ricotta cheese
1 egg
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1/2 cup your favorite shredded cheese (I used Pesto Jack because that what I had on hand)

Place portabellas into a glass or metal baking pan (try to use one that fits them snugly). Combine ricotta, egg, and spices thoroughly. Divide between portabellas spreading thickly. Top with shredded cheese and press in lightly.

Preheat oven to 350 and bake for 30 minutes or until shredded cheese is golden. Cool for 10 minutes and serve.

What I will do differently next time: I used a stoneware pan to make it look pretty so I could not preheat my oven. These took forever to cook due to having to cook at higher temperatures in high altitude (my minimum oven temp in Vegas is usually 370 unless I am slow cooking something).

No comments:

Post a Comment