Sunday, May 2, 2010

An Unexpected Double Baking Session


I started out just wanting to make Kolaches, but the batch of dough rose so fast I could not keep up and ended up making a loaf of bread and hot dog buns. I used my earlier recipe of Amish White Bread. Unfortunately I was low on white flour and had to substitute white wheat which is denser. I used 5 cups of flour instead of 6 and incorporated very small amounts while kneading until the dough felt right. Amazingly it rose more than double in a bit more than half the time. Time to start scrambling!

I shaped around 3/4 of the dough into a bread loaf.

Then formed 8 hot dog buns.


These bad boys rose again in record time. This was right after they went into my oven.

The final product. Note we are missing a hotdog bun. Todd snagged it along with a block of Kerrygold butter before I could take a picture.

So back to Kolaches. I had already fried up a pound of bulk breakfast sausage:


And cut 2 thick slices of Tillamook Sharp Cheddar Cheese into 16 chunks (Sam's Club loaf size):


So I made a new batch of dough that rose faster than the first. Weird. But I live in Vegas. Everything is weird here.



After looking at the size of 16 pieces of dough after slicing it I decided 12 would be enough. Rolled it out and filled with sausage and a chunk of cheese. Pinched the tops together and placed upside down on the Silpat covered cookie sheet.





I had four extra dough balls so I cut them in half, rolled them out and sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon.


They were then rolled up in tubes and placed on a baking sheet.


Both were given a luscious glaze of melted butter after the second rise.

The finished cinnamon rollups came out first and got slathered with melted butter mixed with powdered sugar (ration variable as long as it spreads).

Then the Kolaches came out and got a fresh dressing of melted butter.

The day's bounty:

Notice the Kolache missing. Then he ate another one.

Todd is the luckiest man in the world.

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and loving it! I love to bake my own bread. But I've never tried making my own hot dog buns. And I had never heard of kolaches. They look delicious! :)

    I'm your newest follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leslie! My blog went to a dead halt because I discovered yours and went all Mexican food! We bought a molcajete and dang was that a chore to get up and running!

    ReplyDelete