Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Avocado Sauce

What's left of dinner (and will be gone by bedtime).

I've been a bit under the weather the past few days and me and solid food were not getting along.  When I finally got my appetite back tonight, I wanted my ultimate comfort food meal:  Taquitos and Avocado Sauce from my childhood.  We used to get them from Tastee Freez and a few other walk up places in Southern California.  Our local Latin market had frozen Taquitos on sale last week and I bought a couple of big boxes.  In a fair distribution of labor in my marriage, I made the sauce and he manned the deep fryer. There are a few ways to cook frozen Taquitos following the directions on the box.  I made up the sauce based on what I thought might be in it and it was really good.  If you make small batches of sauces and dressings, I suggest you invest in a mini food processor.  I got mine a few years ago at Wal-Mart for around $7 and it is really easy to clean.

Avocado Sauce

1 small Mexican onion bulb (or regular onion piece a little smaller than a golf ball)
1 large seeded jalapeno
3 Tbsp. cilantro leaves
1/2 tsp salt
1 small avocado peeled and seeded
2 heaping Tbsp. sour cream
1 tsp. white vinegar

Place onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and salt in food processor.  Grind together until very fine.  Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth.  I like mine thicker but you can add small amounts of water or milk to get it to your preferred consistency.

This made enough to generously accompany 8 Taquitos (with a little to dip my finger into later).

5 comments:

  1. Oooh... I need one of those little mini processors, but didn't know which one to get. What brand is yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a Black & Decker. It's not fancy but quite the workhorse. And the best part is that it has 3 pieces outside the base that go straight into the dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's exactly what I need... not fancy, just functional. Thanks for the info...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one only has the metal blade. No shredding disc. But if I am going to the trouble to shred cheese electronically, it's going to require the the very large bowl of my full size processor. We eat a lot of cheese. But I digress.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've given your blog an award, You can accept it at my blog:
    http://tifanis-mom.blogspot.com/2010/09/i-got-my-first-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete